Best Ham Radio Logging App?

 I have never been one of those guys who will break a pileup or sit for hours trying to work DX that I can hardly hear. While I have worked over 100 counties over the years, logging is a more of a fun pastime for me. On occasion, during a local CW rag chew on 20 or 40, I'll look back into the log to see if and when I have worked the station and if there are notes in the log entry.

 On a day to day basis, the N3FJP Amateur Contact Log is the app of choice for me. ACLOG is not free but it offers a direct interface with my 7300 for mode, frequency and also CW memory keying. ACLOG also has the ability to analyze and display countries, states and counties worked and those that are needed. ACLOG also provides importing and exporting of  log contents from and to Club Log, eQSL, LoTW and QRZ Logbook. I have also used N3FJP's Field Day, Winter Field Day, NA Sprint and NAQC logging apps. 

HAMRS is my go to field logging app. HAMRS is free and has several canned logging formats. The POTA or Parks on the Air format is what I use when operating from local parks with POTA numbers. HAMRS does have an easy way to export to ADIF format. For now, if using HAMRS for Winter Field Day logging when the Cabrillo format is needed, just export the HAMRS log in ADIF format and import it into N1MM logger. Then save the imported file in Cabrillo format. Perhaps the HAMRS author will provide direct Cabrillo exporting in the future. 

N1MM logger is also a free and diverse logging app. N1MM goes way beyond my needs as a logging app but it does contain a big list of canned formats for logging events. I had to experiment with N1MM to find out how to set up the canned format to enter my Winter Field Day contacts. If you don't want to mess with exporting from HAMRS and importing to N1MM logger, then N1MM logger turns out to be a good choice for Winter Field Day logging. 

While there are tons of Ham Radio logging apps around, like anything else, much depends on specific needs. I believe the N3FJP suite of apps and the N1MM logger fall into the same category as countless other Ham Radio apps. That is, the apps only run on the Windows platform. HAMRS stands alone in that category because it runs on Mac, Windows, Ubuntu and Raspian and operates identically on all platforms. 

72 es 73 until next time de KE2YK

    Here's a Snippet of my QRZ logbook uploaded directly from ACLOG.

No comments: